Jun 3, 2010

Move Over Jaden Smith... Here Comes Hayden!

Hayden started his TaeKwondo classes tonight. We took him yesterday for an initial session too see if he would like it and if he could follow directions well enough at his young age. The instructor felt like he would do well and said that he could start right away. So we washed his white uniform and headed off to class. It was so cute to see him learning to tie his belt. The pants legs and sleeves are a little long, but he will grow into it soon enough. I feel like this will be a positive step for him because they will be working on more than just the movements. They teach them discipline, manners (yes sir/no sir), stranger danger, make sure they memorize their address and home number and also talk with them about when it's appropriate to use 911.

His very first class seemed to go ok... at first. After about 15 minutes he was looking around and having a hard time staying in line. Focus is something we are going to have to work on a lot around the house. Several times his instructor had to call his name and redirect him to where he was supposed to be sitting. Many times I noticed that he was laying down on his stomach with his chin propped on his hands while he was waiting his turn in line. Many of the moms around us laughed at it all, but quickly reassured me that after about 3 classes or so I would see an improvement. They know because all their little ones did the same thing. Thank God! I can't wait to see what type of improvement he makes around the house with focus and manners, but I already feel I have great kid so any changes we see will be icing on the cake. I just want him to have fun and get a little energy out. If he likes it, I will LOVE it.
Learning to tie his belt
(daddy is going to have to teach me too)
Small class makes for better focus

The balance beam of the obstacle course
Weaving in and out of the cones
Getting ready to crawl through the tunnel
Bowing out of class
Showing off his sticker on his belt
(his first sticker was white)

2 comments:

Holly said...

I bet that class will be really good for him and a lot of fun too!!

Jessi said...

He is just SO cute and looks so happy! How old is he? I think it's so neat that he has something that he can learn so much from and have fun at the same time!

I noticed you have animals. We have TONS of animals, and well, tons of kids too ;). I really want a baby goat maybe a pygmy. Oh goodness we really do not need another one but they are SO CUTE!