Mar 28, 2010

Caldwell Zoo

Hayden and Reagan and I went to the zoo yesterday with our friends Vicki and Theo and their kiddos. We had so much fun. Thanks for the invite Vicki! It was the first time that Reagan has been and of course she slept almost the whole time. It was also the first time that Hayden has been where he could just run to his heart's content (we haven't been in a long time). I'm still bummed that they started charging to get into this zoo, but the improvements that they have made are amazing. The admission charge has definitely been beneficial to it's appearance.


Here are all the kiddos posing near the white tigers. I'm not sure why Hayden has starting doing the "shoulder shrug" every time I tell him to smile.


But I think I may have figured out how to get him to smile naturally! I just tell him not to laugh because it's not funny. For some reason this reverse psychology seems to work and he starts giggling every time. Who knows how long it will work?


The zoo has added a wild bird walk-about. I haven't been in there, but it's definitely fun for the kiddos. For $1.00 you can buy a little stick with seeds and the kiddos can feed the birds. They are mostly parakeets, but it's exciting for them to get to feed the birds. Here's Hayden feeding one of the hundreds of little birds. There were a lot of people in there yesterday so it was hard to get close to any of them and Vicki told me that it's a lot better when there aren't so many people.

Sophie feeding a bird; she's so excited!

I had to get a pic of the little ones. They were looking
at the Zebras. Aren't they cute?

Kalli Feeding the giraffe through the fence.
That's his tongue! They got a huge laugh out of this and
probably would have stripped the nearby bush of every
leaf if we had stayed there long enough.

Hayden in front of the elephants

I don't know what it is about elephants, but I really love them. They have obvious power, but seem so gentle too. Their faces are just so sweet looking.
So now that we have been for the the first time this season, I think I am going to buy a season pass. I think I could go every week. It really is a great zoo and I'm glad that we live so close.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Zoo passes are so fun! We had one last year and went to our zoo all the time.

I love all the pictures! I have so many fun childhood memories from Caldwell Zoo. Maybe we'll have to plan a trip sometime and go together...summertime?

Martie said...

So many memories at that zoo. Suzi used to go on her birthday every year--maybe she still does. The kids are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

the zoo is so much fun!
Although I was disappointed at ours that they put a playground in the middle and then Avery didn't get to see half the animals cause she just wanted to play. Oh well.