May 17, 2009

So Far, So Good.

I went to the OB's office Friday morning to have my second HCG level drawn. They close early on Fridays so I knew that I wouldn't get the results until Monday. I still had to ask if there was any way that I might be hearing back from them and was given a disappointing no. "That's ok, I can make it", I thought. But as I was leaving I noticed my OB sitting at a desk in the lab area talking to one of the nurses. I had to stop and say hi and give her the good news since I hadn't seen her in a few months. She was so excited for us and gave me a big hug. Then she told the nurse to put a STAT on my blood work!!! I couldn't believe it! I was going to hear back from the nurse before lunch. Of course I was impatient and called at 11:30 and again at 11:40. I reasoned that she didn't have the number at work. She called me back right away after the second call and said that she had good news. My HCG went from 78 on Monday to 280! I was so relieved, excited and anxious at all once. It was exactly what I wanted to hear. So far, so good. My next step is my confirmation OB and that's where we get our first glimpse of our little one. I can't wait until June 19th. Craig is scheduled to be off that day and will get to see him or her too!

Now, on to another topic. Please someone tell me that attitude at this stage of development is normal. It seems that the children of my friends never act out. I am sure that's not true, but I just am at a loss for what to do. He has started hitting me and Craig when he doesn't get his way. I am afraid to admit it because I feel that people will think that we have an unruly child. This is far from the case. He's normally a sweet, loving child, but when he is tired or first wakes up he sometimes has a horrible attitude. I feel that I am a bad mother because my child is acting this way and I am not sure of the correct discipline for this behaviour. Until this morning I had another concern. I was concerned that he is not speaking enough. Again, I am comparing him to other children and I know that's not what I should do. I also know that girls seem to talk sooner than boys. I was just saying last night to my aunt that he doesn't seem to string sentences together. He can say two word sentences like "daddy's truck" and things like that, but that's been the extent of it. I know he understands a large amount of what I am saying because he follows commands really well. Well, this morning my concerns about his speech development were slightly decreased. I told him to go get his milk while I finished breakfast and he said to me... "I don't want to." Plain as day! I am excited to know that he's capable of making sentences now, but did it have to be that sentence? Ugh! Please someone tell me it's all a phase and that this too shall pass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, and Yes!! It's all normal! Avery has an attitude too, and time out works pretty good. The most important thing is to BE CONSISTENT with whatever discipline you choose, and don't give too many warnings (that's my weakness). Love the new look btw.