Jul 26, 2009

Terrible Twos

He looks pretty angelic. Doesn't he? But let me tell you, I was in a store today talking to a lady about children. She said that she has a little boy who is six and that so far the worst year was when he was three. That's not what I want to hear since Hayden just turned 2 and now he's throwing a fit nightly about going to bed. I am hoping that it's just because my cousins are staying with us and he doesn't want to miss anything they are doing. They have been here since Thursday night and so far he's had only one nap and hasn't gone to bed on time once. Last night he was up until 12:30a.m! I know this behavior is because his routine is disrupted, but my goodness. I dread bed time and bath time and teeth brushing time and nap time and reading time and the list goes on and on. I find myself giving in just so that I don't have to listen to the temper tantrum. Yesterday I started crying right along with him because I feel like I am doing something wrong. I couldn't help it and I couldn't hold it back either.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

You're not doing anything wrong! It's hard, but stick with it and just be consistent even though you want to give in. He will test you at 2 and at 5 and at 16! It's his job! :)

Christie said...

Oh Nicole! Don't tell me all that! I guess I would be worried, though, if he didn't test me all along the way!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nicole...consistency is the key to everything in parenting! You can do it!!
And yes, they keep pushing, and probably only gets worse as they get smarter. :)