Oct 27, 2010

Day 3 - Apple Blossoms




We have lived in our house a 2.5 years already and one thing I love about this place is my little apple tree. One thing that Mrs. H was proud to point out when were looking at the house was that there were 8 peach trees near the front gate and a lone apple tree in the front yard. She told me that the apple tree had only put out one apple since she planted it, but that the peaches did pretty good. Well, needless to say, I have a brown thumb and know nothing about peaches so they have all quickly died. It doesn't help that the horses like to nibble on them as well. But my apple tree is thriving. In fact, when we fenced around the house I made sure to have the fence encompass the apple tree so that it would not become of victim of the horses as well.





It's not a very tall tree. Maybe twelve feet, but this year the blossoms were beautiful. The bees were swarming all around and I noticed the start of apples! They didn't get very big this year. In fact, they were rather small, but the horses didn't seem to mind when I pitched a few over the fence. I kept waiting to see how big they would get and then realized they were becoming victims of the worms and black birds. But for a few short weeks we had apples. Green apples at that!

No comments: