Feb 17, 2009

Another Week to go...

The nurse from OB's office called today and said that she had a portion of the results available. She said that since so many tubes were drawn, they separated them into two different lot numbers. They claimed that they didn't have a purple top tube to send out for the remaining portion. That's because the TWO purple top tubes were in one lot number. She had to get on the phone with the manager and explain that they can simply remove one of those tubes from the sample and put it in with the other samples instead of having me come back for more blood to be drawn. DUH! Some people don't know how to make a decision without someone standing behind them doing the two-cheek shove.

Here's what I know (and it's not much): I know that my Factor II Prothrombin and Activated Protein C were normal. I also know that two of my lupus values were normal and that I have an elevated Protein S and Protein C. What I don't know are the thyroid values and the remaining lupus values as well as the other clotting factors. Those are on their way to Baltimore. It should take another week, providing the samples are still good at this point.

What that means is there is a possibility that I have a clotting disorder. At the very least it means daily baby aspirin during pregnancy. At the very worst, it means baby aspirin and either Heparin or some other blood thinner, although I can't remember the name.

I am trying to not get to discouraged, concerned or worried. I have these fears running through me now that go way beyond a pregnancy. I am concerned about the chance of clots. I am concerned that something might happen to me and Hayden and Craig are left alone. I don't want to be so selfish in my desire to have another child that I don't take anything else into consideration. There are people right here, right now that depend on me. Once the remaining results come in we will sit down with my doctor again and discuss all our options. So now we hurry up and wait some more.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I hope everything comes back normal! I'm sure it will. I will be praying for you. Did you know JD's Mom has both lupus and a clotting disorder?? I'm sure you would have other symptoms too....try not to worry too much, although I know it's hard! That other drug might have been Coumadin?

Christie said...

She didn't mention coumadin. I think it's called lovanox or something like that. It's also an injectable. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I didn't know that about JD's mom. Did it affect any of her pregnancies? How is she doing with them? I have heard a little about lupus in that it's so different for each person. Very strange disorder.